Sep 23, 2020
Sep 30, 2021
The Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education programme is committed to promoting excellence in learning and teaching for health professionals.
The Postgraduate Diploma and MSc in Medical Education is committed to promoting excellence in learning and teaching for health professionals. Having established the first Masters in Medical Education in the UK, we continue to lead, providing innovative programmes for all medical, dental and health professionals who aim to professionalise the role of the clinician as teacher.
This course recognises the diverse, complex and challenging contexts of both those new to educator roles and responsibilities and those with considerable years of experience. The overall aim of the course is to develop a community of educators committed to promote improvements in both ‘what’ and ‘how’ we teach future healthcare professionals. Each stage takes 1 academic year to complete.
The course is highly practical and aims to model best practice in learning and teaching and draws upon a wide range of innovative approaches to learner support and development. A comprehensive series of face-to-face modules will enable you to contribute to critical dialogues that promote deeper insights into educational theory and principles applied to clinical practice. This allows ample time to reflect on your own practice and to share experience and new insights with colleagues.
• Available as a Full time or a Part time course.
• Benefit from our longstanding expertise and more than two decades of experience of running medical education courses that integrate research and scholarship
• Specifically designed for clinicians and healthcare professionals, with flexibility to meet your individual needs and circumstances
• Sequenced modules with immersive teaching days to promote development and support educational leadership roles and responsibilities
• Assessment tasks linked to your own educational practise, allowing you to apply theory and concepts to your clinical setting
• Opportunity to study alongside healthcare professionals from diverse backgrounds to promote understanding and sharing of good practice
• Support from an academic team of dedicated educationalists, active in professional associations who have a breadth of experience
• Optional attendance at a short Effective Teaching Skills course (limited availability)
• Positioned within Cardiff University School of Medicine and located at University Hospital of Wales, we are well placed to support the education and training of clinicians and clinical educators
• Accredited by Academy of Medical Educators (AoME) and aligned to GMC Trainer criteria
• Accredited by the UK Higher Education Academy, conferring Fellowship upon successful completion of Year 1