Sep 21, 2020
Jun 30, 2021
Our Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education programme is committed to promoting excellence in learning and teaching for health professionals.
It is for all medical, dental and other health professionals who aim to professionalise the role of the clinician as teacher.
This part-time distance-learning programme leads to the award of a Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education. This is stage 1 of a three-stage, progressive course and those who successfully complete it may apply to progress to the Postgraduate Diploma and MSc stages. Each stage takes 1 academic year to complete. The programme recognises the diverse, complex and challenging contexts of both those new to educator roles and responsibilities and those with considerable years of experience. The overall aim of the course is to develop a community of educators committed to promote improvements in both ‘what’ and ‘how’ we teach future healthcare professionals.
The course is highly practical and aims to model best practice in learning and teaching, drawing upon a wide range of innovative approaches to learner support and development. The course is organised into a series of modules that involve interactive activities delivered within an online environment. These activities are conducted within groups, each one being facilitated by an online tutor. This affords an opportunity to explore the module topic through discussion and clarification of understanding and also gives the opportunity and time to apply new learning through the online discussions, tasks, webinars and assignments. Through this there is ample time to reflect on own practise and to share experiences and new insights with colleagues. This is a truly interactive programme.
• Benefit from our longstanding expertise and more than two decades of experience of running medical education courses that integrate research and scholarship
• The programme is accredited by the Higher Education Academy, conferring Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy upon successful completion of the Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education and evidence of engagement with the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF)
• Accredited by the Academy of Medical Educators (AoME) and aligned to GMC Trainer criteria
• Specifically designed for clinicians and healthcare professionals, with flexibility to meet your individual needs and circumstances
• Assessment tasks linked to your own educational practise, allowing you to apply theory and concepts to your clinical setting
• Opportunity to study alongside healthcare professionals from diverse backgrounds to promote understanding and sharing of good practice
• Support from an academic team of dedicated educationalists, active in professional associations who have a breadth of experience
• Positioned within Cardiff University School of Medicine and located at University Hospital of Wales, we are well placed to support the education and training of clinicians and clinical educators